5.10.2009

Birthday dinner course 3: Basil and lime granita

This recipe is based off one I found online from Martha Stewart. I changed it a bit from the original (read: took out the time consuming part) and think it turned out pretty tasty.


2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh honeydew juice (from 1 1/4 pounds honeydew) * see note
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Zest from 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Raspberries for garnish

*Note- I had no idea where to get honeydew juice so I just made it up as I went. I cut up half of a melon into chunks and liquefied it in the blender. Then I strained the juice into a bowl. It turned out perfect. Half the melon made about 2 cups juice.

Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add basil; cook until basil turns bright green, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice-water bath until cool, about 1 minute. Drain; pat dry.


Stir together sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved. Add basil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let cool completely.


Puree the basil mixture in a blender, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in honeydew juice, lime juice, zest and salt.


Transfer to an 8-inch square nonreactive baking dish, and place in freezer. Rake with a fork every 30 - 45 minutes until mixture is completely frozen, about 3 hours.


Scoop into small bowls and garnish with raspberries.


{Review}
This is a very light dessert. Perfect compliment to a rich dinner.
This was my first time making a granita and found it very easy. Now im wondering what other types I can do.
I bet this recipe could be made into popsicles too. Yummy!
Husband approved


{Serve with}
A tasty dinner or have as a snack on a hot day.


{Time}
15 min prep time
3 hours in the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment